Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Need honest opinions

  1. #1
    Inactive Member wolfwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2001
    Posts
    82
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here's something I wrote last night. I would like honest opinions on it, whether cruel or supportive. Thank you in advance.

    INT. DINING ROOM-AFTERNOON
    A young couple sit at opposite ends of a long dinette table. Their enjoying soup, which appears to be just an appetizer. Candles are lit in the center of the table, even though the room is already quite bright. We hear some lite jazz playing in the background.
    The man on the right is RUSSELL. He appears to be in his late teens, short hair, jeans and t-shirt, glasses. He is enjoying his soup a little too much, whilst bobbing his head to the beat. He hardly looks over at the girl at the other end of the table.
    The girl on the left is LILITH. Also in her late teens, long hair, wearing a sun dress. She is barely eating her soup, as she stares a hole right through RUSSELL. She only lifts her gaze when RUSSELL looks her way. She taps her feet nervously on the floor.

    RUSSELL
    (without looking up)
    So, how's your mother doing?

    LILITH
    You mean the devil incarnate?
    How should I know, Russell? Like
    I keep tabs on her wherabouts.
    (beat)
    Why do you care, anyway?

    RUSSELL
    Just trying to start a conversation.
    (beat)
    You should try to be nicer to her.

    LILITH
    Really?

    RUSSELL
    Yeah. I mean, jeez Lilith. She is
    your mother.

    LILITH
    That doesn't mean anything. Not
    to me, anyway.

    RUSSELL
    Just trying to offer some advice.

    The two go back to their routines, except for LILITH tapping a bit faster. She has somehting on her mind, but can't say it quite yet.

    LILITH
    So, what are we doing after dinner?

    RUSSELL
    (dry)
    What's this "we" crap?

    LILITH just smiles knowingly, but with a look of fear in her eyes.

    RUSSELL
    Kidding, kidding. Actaully, I haven't
    thought that far ahead in the evening.
    What would you like to do?

    BOTH
    Let's go see a movie.

    The two give a little giggle, which really releases the tension in the room.

    LILITH
    How'd you know I was going to say
    that?

    RUSSELL
    You are a very predictable person.
    Not to mention the fact that we've
    been dating for six months now.

    LILITH
    (solemn)
    Six months today.

    RUSSELL
    (raises glass)
    Hence the lovely dinner I've prepared.
    (beat)
    So, what "film" do you want to see?

    LILITH
    Well, there is that Jackie Chan double-
    feature downtown.

    RUSSELL gives out a long grown, as LILITH kind of sits uncomfortably for a moment, smiles, then loosens up to her normal self.

    LILITH
    (playful)
    I bet. I bet, that you can't quess what I'm
    about to say?

    RUSSELL
    Oh really?

    LILITH
    Yeah, Russell. Really.

    RUSSELL
    Alright, I'm game.

    LILITH
    Okay, ready? One, two, three.

    RUSSELL
    What's the main course?

    LILITH
    (simultaniuosly)
    Why'd you cheat on me?

    As the last syllable leaves her mouth, the music stops, and the only thing you can hear is the tick tock of the clock and RUSSELL dropping his spoon.

    RUSSELL
    (dumbfounded)
    What?

    LILITH
    (leans over table)
    Why. Did. You. Cheat. On. Me?

    RUSSELL sits there for a second looking down at the table. Then he gets up, as if nothing was said, and takes both bowls from the table into the kitchen. LILITH furrows her brow in confusion. RUSSELL walks back into the dining room with two plates in his hand, both with food on them. He sets one in front of LILITH, then brings the other plate to his side. Next, he moves towards the stereo and puts another CD in. RUSSELL sort of glides over to his chair as some more jazz fills the air. He takes a seat and begins to eat, all the time LILITH follows him with her eyes, arms folded. She looks down at her plate.

    LILITH
    (flat)
    What in the world is this.

    RUSSELL
    Chicken alfredo and mixed vegetables.
    I made it.

    LILITH
    No, captain obvious, this whole "let's
    avoid the question at hand" game
    that your playing.

    RUSSELL puts down his fork down then pushes his glasses up.

    RUSSELL
    Well, Lilith. It's just that I don't think
    it's an importan issue. Atleast not
    imporatant eough to ruin our anniversary
    over.

    LILITH
    Oh, okay dear. Will talk about it later.
    Or never. You know, whatever's
    convinent for you.

    RUSSELL
    (resumes eating)
    Glad you see it my wa-

    LILITH
    (cuts him off)
    I was being sarcastic, you prick.
    And saying that you cheating on
    me isn't important is like saying
    that, that Spider-Man's secret
    identity isn't important!

    RUSSELL just looks at her, not getting the reference.

    LILITH
    Oh, and don't worry about our
    anniversary. It's already crap thanks
    to you.


    RUSSELL
    (still mellow)
    Crap?! What on earth did I do to
    ruin this evening?

    LILITH
    (stands up)
    You cheated on me!!

    RUSSELL drops his utensil again. After about a beat LILITH lets out a puff of air, fixes her hair, and sits back down.

    RUSSELL
    Did you see me, with your own eyes,
    having sex with another woman?

    LILITH
    (cold)
    No.

    RUSSELL
    Then how do you know that I even
    did anythi-

    LILITH
    (cuts him off)
    Kelly Cheshire told me. She said she
    saw you with Ariana Mercer at Matt
    Sawyer's party last week.
    (beat)
    While I was sick in bed, no less.

    RUSSELL
    Yeah, I was talking to Ariana at Matt's
    party, but, it doesn't necessarily mean,
    that we-

    LILITH
    (cuts him off)
    She said you had your hand down
    her pants, while both your tongues
    were "occupied".

    RUSSELL takes his glasses off, and rubs between his eyes. You can tell he's wearing thin. He puts his glasses back on.

    RUSSELL
    So, you believe Kelly. Second
    hand information. Over me, Russell,
    your boyfriend of six months?

    LILITH
    It's still "second hand" if I believe
    you, Russell. Which I don't.

    RUSSELL
    (beat)
    Why don't you believe me?

    LILITH
    Because you haven't said it yet.

    RUSSELL
    Said what?

    LILITH
    "I didn't cheat on you."

    RUSSELL
    (simultaniously)
    "I love you?"

    They both just stare at each other for a couple of beats, both flabergasted by what the other one just said.

    LILITH
    (soft)
    Yeah, well, now that you mention it,
    you've never said THAT either.

    RUSSELL gets his composure back.

    RUSSELL
    So, if I say that. If I say I didn't cheat
    on you with Ariana Mercer. This
    whole thing, this whole episode of
    mistrust your having, will just "poof",
    go away?

    LILITH
    (blunt)
    Yes.

    RUSSELL stands up. His voice begins to change. There's more inflection in it than before.

    RUSSELL
    (beat)
    What if. What if I can't say that? What if
    I can only say the other thing?

    LILITH
    (hopeful)
    That you love me?

    RUSSELL
    No. The other, other thing. The
    opposite of me not cheating on you.
    Would you want to hear that? Would
    you want those words coming out
    of my mouth?

    LILITH
    (beat)
    I don't know.

    LILITH just sits there, arms between her legs while RUSSELL paces around the room, holding his glass.

    LILITH
    (timid)
    So, you don't love me?

    RUSSELL
    (suprised)
    Oh, come on, Lilith. I never said
    that.

    LILITH
    So, you do love me.

    RUSSELL
    I never said that, either.

    LILITH
    Quit it.

    RUSSELL
    Quit what?

    LILITH
    (stern)
    Quit playing these head games with me
    like I'm some kind of monkey, some
    unevolved creature that's lower than you.
    It's a simple yes or no question, Russell.
    You either do or you don't.

    RUSSELL
    Oh, come on. I do not treat you-

    LILITH
    Just answer the question!!

    RUSSELL
    (beat)
    I don't know.

    LILITH
    Why?

    RUSSELL
    Because it doesn't make sense.

    LILITH
    (confused)
    What? What doesn't make sense?

    RUSSELL
    Us. You and me.

    RUSSELL slowly walks over to the window. LILITH just follows him with her eyes again.

    RUSSELL
    Look at us. We are two totally different
    people. Different interests, different
    outlooks on life, we believe in
    different ideals, and we treat our friends
    and families differently.
    (takes a drink)
    In all reality, we should hate each other.

    LILITH just sits their, astonished by what's being said.

    RUSSELL
    (continue)
    Me and Ariana, though, that's different.
    We have the same views on just about
    everything. Logically, were the perfect
    match. Me and her make sense.
    (beat)
    MADE sense.

    LILITH, who realises the stupidity of the whole situation, slowly gets out of the chair and walks over to RUSSELL's side.

    LILITH
    So that's why you cheated on me?
    Because you met a girl that likes jazz?

    RUSSELL
    (laughs a little)
    Yeah. That pretty much sums it up.

    LILITH puts her arm around his.

    LILITH
    (usual self)
    For someone who thinks so much,
    you've got to be the biggest idiot in
    the world.

    RUSSELL turns his head to her.

    LILITH
    (continued)
    Do you even know what love is?
    Because from what you've just said,
    it doesn't seem like you have a firm
    grasp on the concept.

    LILITH begins to roam around the room, childlike, bouncing on the couch, doing handsprings, etc.

    LILITH
    Love is that feeling you get in the
    pit of your stomach when that
    special someone walks by. It's
    hoping that the person who treats
    you the worst will one day ask
    you out. It's going through a
    million scenarios in your head of
    why someone is five minutes late
    calling you. It's forgiving someone
    who's just cheated on you, even
    though you have every right in the
    world to castrate them.

    RUSSELL grins at his own stupidity, as LILITH stops her antics and approaches him again. She gently puts her hands on his face.

    LILITH
    (continued)
    But most of all, Russell. Love
    doesn't make sense. It was never
    suppose to. That's why it's called
    love.

    The two stare into each others eyes, basking in the warm glow of the moment. Then, they come closer, and share one perfect kiss.

    LILITH
    Happy anniversary.

    RUSSELL
    Happy anniversary.
    (they kiss again)
    I love you.

    LILITH just smiles and looks into his eyes.

    RUSSELL
    Well?

    LILITH
    You know the answer to this one.


    THE END




    ------------------
    "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it"

  2. #2
    Inactive Member ThomasB's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2000
    Posts
    171
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Don't take it personal. I'm far away from being a good critic or even a better screenwriter than you. I'm just going to say what crossed my mind while reading the script.

    Some parts of the script are pretty predictable. About three times I knew exactly what the characters were about to say or do.

    The whole dialogue feels a bit 'sterile' and 'constructed'.

    In my opinion, setting the characters in their late teens doesn't really fit the scene and they don't 'act' as if they're a couple since half an year.

    Why does he tell her that he loves her, just after saying that the other girl would be his perfect match? Doesn't make sense to me.

    Maybe it's just me, but I absolutely don't get the end.

    I'm sorry if this sounds a bit harsh. Keep on writing down your ideas!

    ------------------
    ThomasB
    http://www.biennavista.com

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Rar's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2001
    Posts
    90
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I thought it was a bit dull, because I've seen a few "person-confronts-partner-about-infidelity" scenes already. But it was OK for what it was.

    ------------------

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Generic Skinhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 12th, 2001
    Posts
    1,009
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It's not bad. It's just a bit...well, contrived, I guess. As a late teen myself, I can't identify with the setting very well and some of the dialogue. They're is nothing different here and in places it's confusing. Why does she forgive him all of a sudden? I don't know any women that easily swayed biggrin

    You've got your premis, just try and rewrite it with some kind of an original twist or something.

    ------------------
    I can't believe I sold my image rights for a pint of Guinness!

    [This message has been edited by Generic Skinhead (edited January 11, 2002).]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Jacob Slate's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 7th, 2002
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    I just thought it was a bit predictable. I think the script as a whole could be inproved by making the dialogue a little more realisitic. There seemed to always been one syllable too many, like bad porn dialogue. I half expected the guy to prove his love for her by whipping it out. But, as a writer, you seem to have a good grasp of pacing and what the audience wants to hear next. Not my cup of tea, but then I guess I'm really only interested in my own work...

    ------------------
    A director in my mind, in my heart, in every sinew of my being, but not in reality (yet)

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Red House Painter's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2001
    Posts
    134
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    This may sound strange but try making it funny. What I mean is, that where LILETH say's 'I'm not a monkey' you are on the right track. Also 'captain obvious' was good. If you look at the scene in American Beauty where they are having dinner, the dialogue makes you laugh even though they aren't. Amer.. Bea.. is a darkly funny film even though it is dealing with serious issues.


    ------------------
    If you can't stand the heat, get out of the frying pan!

  7. #7
    Inactive Member LAmind's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2000
    Posts
    301
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That was wondefull. That gave me pleasure from reading. The only part i don't like is the end. Because i don't know what happens in the end. Do they keep going out (apperantly). I guess what i mean is i don't get what "You know the answer to this one" means. I'd change the last couple of lines.

    It was very good though. Well written, and I liked the characters. True though, people in their late teens don't sit at a dinner table with candles and they don't ussually celebrate their 6th month anniversarys. Maybe you could change that to somehting else.

    -Ivan

    ------------------
    "A place for everything and everything in it's place".

  8. #8
    Inactive Member sickbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 8th, 2002
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Exclamation

    its crap

    ------------------

  9. #9
    Inactive Member wolfwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2001
    Posts
    82
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the criticism, none of it taken pesonally. Even the last remark. Hey, it's a first draft, so what do you expect.

    ------------------
    "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it"

  10. #10
    Inactive Member hairbrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 10th, 2001
    Posts
    136
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    RUSSELL: (without looking up) God I had this NASTY dream about your mum last night

    LILITH: Do you mind I'm trying to eat!

    (they eat a little more)

    RUSSELL: So what do you want to talk about?

    (they eat on)

    RUSSELL: What is this with you and your Mum anyway?

    LILITH: Hey you know I don't like talking about her. Drop it Rus.

    RUSSELL: She doesn't seem that bad to me.

    LILITH: That's cos she `likes` you.

    RUSSELL: And she doesn't like you?

    Lilith bursts an ironic smile at him and both know the subject is best left dropped. They carry on eating silently.

    LILITH: So was it good shoving your hand down Ariana Mercers knickers?

    Russel almost chokes on his food.

    RUSSEL: What the fuck are you talking about!

    LILITH: Kelly Cheshire told me.

    RUSSEL: Kelly Cheshh... What the fuck does she know? and what the fuck has this gotta do with your Mother?

    LILITH: She saw you...

    RUSSEL: Oh Yeah!

    LILITH: ...at Matts party...

    LILITH: ...whilst I was at home ill in the fucking bED YOU FUCKING.....!!

    Her voice tails off in anger as she can't decide what to call him.

    LILITH: (simultaneously) dog fucker!

    RUSSEL: (simultaneously) Hey Lil maybe... Dog what?!.... Dog FUCKER?!... What IS wrong with you Lil?... that's absurd.. I've never... (gesticulates)

    Lilith nods, pleased with herself.

    LILITH: Kelly Cheshire told me you had your hand down Ariana Mercers knickers and you were ALL O V E R HER.

    Russel gets up and gets the next course. He brings it in puts it infront of Lilith then sits down with his serving.

    LILITH: Kelly Cheshire told me you had your hand down Ariana Mercers knickers and you were ALL O V E R HER.

    Russel winces and starts to take a mouthfull

    LILITH: Kelly Cheshi....

    RUSSEL: (mimicing) Kelly Cheshire told me you had your hand down Ariana Mer. Well since when have you been interested in anything I do?!

    LILILTH: (taken aback) What do you mean?

    RUSSEL: You never get involved. I mean at least Ariana...

    LILITH: (completing his sentence)... likes Jazz?

    RUSSEL: Well yeah I suppose we do have that in common.

    LILITH: I don't fucking believe it!

    RUSSEL: (taken aback) What do you mean?

    LILITH: It's always the fucking Jazz!! (picking up one of his cd's with a maliscious air)

    RUSSEL: What are you gonna do? Don't... Don't do anything...

    LILITH: What ya worried about Russ? Worried about your precious Jazz are you?

    RUSSEL: Hey Lil.. give me... give me the cd


    (I don't know this one kinda rambled out of me whilst I sat at my computer waiting for stuff to get done. You'll find alot of your points are still there but they're just not broadcast so obviously and loudly. Baddies don't tell you they're baddies... they act like baddies and then you recodnise them as such. This goes all the way through script writing and works on every level... good luck... nice idea smile

    ------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •